Thursday, May 31, 2012

Rethinking Food

So after deciding to join the Summer of Seven, a blog challenge to reduce in similar ways as Jen Hatmaker did in her book Seven, I am now wrestling out the logistics of the process.  In a very uncharacteristic move on my part (see previous post), I have decided not to map out a detailed schedule of which area we will address when and how and why and the whole sha-bang.  Instead we’re just gonna take it a step at a time and see what happens.


Can I tell you I am so struggling with the food issue?   Not because it seems too hard but because I don’t know what to do about it.  I don’t know how to adjust it to go deeper.  In Seven, Jen Hatmaker only eats seven foods for one month.  I don't feel like that fits our family's current food journey.

We already buy our produce organically through a coop.

We purchase our meat, eggs, dairy, and other produce through local farmers.

We buy in bulk as much as possible.

We only eat “real” food the majority of the time. (I write a blog about it.)

We’ve made a conscious effort to reduce consumption and find more responsible options for food items tied to slavery such as coffee and chocolate.

Using up the freezer/pantry/fridge ingredients for dinner.
I just stocked my freezer with meals because the end of the school year is crazy busy and we are about to move.  We are also already using up our pantry because of said move.  

Two days ago I did another purge of our pantry and threw out anything containing soy lecithin and my children’s leftover Easter candy and any other candy lurking in our pantry.  Noah informed me the next morning that if I threw away his ring pop, they cost him 50 cents each.  I told him we’d discuss it later which is code for: oh, crap, I have no idea how to handle that, but we need to get out the door before we’re late for school, and this isn’t going to be a pleasant conversation.

I say all of this not to toot my own horn, but more so to say, “Where else do I go from here, since food is already a subject we are constantly working to learn more about and make more healthful and responsible choices in?”  And even as I write this I feel the tug in my heart.

Of course it has been in the back of my mind for a WHILE to give to the food pantry at church, but I haven’t actually done anything about it.

And I think about opening my home for others to share a meal whether they 
can return the favor or not.

And it strikes me that when we give, we shouldn’t just give our cast-offs or items of a lesser quality, but rather the same that we would buy for ourselves or our family.

Jesus had this to say, "...When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, otherwise they may also invite you in return and that will be your repayment. But when you give a reception, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, since they do not have the means to repay you; for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.” (Luke 14:12-14)  


And then there is that story we've all heard in Matthew 25 about the sheep and the goats--that when we feed, clothe, and care for the least of these it's as if we had done the same for Jesus.  You know, that story that caused you to pray the sinners' prayer a ba-gillion times when you were a kid because you were scared you weren't really saved.  Yeah, that's the one.


I have been the one in need while others stood beside me and cared for me when I was unable to stand alone.  These words of Jesus wrench my heart and bring tears to my eyes.  But being moved to compassion isn't enough.  We must also be moved into action.


Thinking in light of the Summer of Seven, I don’t know that any of these areas I mentioned above really fit into a week-long plan, but I think this is what fits what I need to address in the area of food.  This week I’m putting these areas on my to-do list to start and continue.  Additionally, I’m going to continue to pray for God to mold me in this area—to give my eyes to see and a heart to understand and for Him to move me to actually live the gospel of Christ.


Feel free to join in and add your blog to the blog hop bellow or just post your thoughts to the comment section!

7 comments:

  1. what i love about this--your acknowledgement that you just can't do it the same way as some others might and have it bring about heart change. and that's at the heart of Jen H.'s book--that God wants to work in EACH of our hearts, and that is going to work itself out differently for each of us. good for you for recognizing it and refusing to take the easier road.
    so glad you've joined the journey with us,
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I think I kind of tore at my heart a lot when we switched to real food, but now I have all these NEW issues. That's why I'm hoofin' it around town this week. ;) Maybe another food challenge could be to EAT with people, especially the poor and needy as you've pointed out. That passage really got to my heart today . . .Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby and I have been talking about that-eating with the poor and needy, but haven't figured out how to accomplish that.

      Delete
  3. "And it strikes me that when we give, we shouldn’t just give our cast-offs or items of a lesser quality, but rather the same that we would buy for ourselves or our family."

    You know, this was my first inclination. It's so much easier to give away the stuff you don't want. That's why I've decided that instead we'll force ourselves to eat what we already have. No going out for something better, as has always been the snare until now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The comment Amy quotes above totally speaks to me and I SO agree. Where I serve in the inner city many are always brining in things and donating. But sometimes it is just a shame the lesser quality to which they bring. Shoes with holes, shirts with stains and tears. We don't give those away - we trash them! Loving your heart. Glad you are along for the journey.

    http://positivelyalene.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been checking out the trail of 7 and thinking about joining up though I would be behind so...I'm still thinking. And let me say that I've not purchased or read the book yet, but I want to.
    I also want to comment and I'll try to keep it short, sort of. :) I agree with Alene.
    My family and I have been on the receiving end. What a blessing generous people were to us! I am so grateful to God and to His saints, and I never want to appear otherwise, but please, don't give hurting and "needy" people your trash and then go home and feel all warm and good. Chances are they already have worn out clothes of their own. If you want to really help them and show them the love of God, give the good stuff.
    If you give food, please give something besides rice and beans. Chances are, your "less fortunate" family has access to plenty of rice and beans through a food pantry or they can afford rice and beans themselves. What they can't afford is a juicy pork loin, steak, or--I remember looking at a gallon size zip lock bag of dried beans and it's companion bag of white rice that someone dropped off at our door, (we had been eating beans and rice for weeks) and with tears, thanking God for the person's faithfulness and generosity but all the time craving fresh broccoli. Why do we think that sad hurting souls want to eat beans and rice?
    Our life went south in the month of September and stayed in the dump for many, many months so we "suffered" during the holiday season. Our church brought us a "Thanksgiving meal" of sorts. (a bag of groceries) Again, I'm not ungrateful, but in the bag there was a can of pumpkin but nothing to add to it to make a pie. (No, I couldn't even afford a dozen eggs at the time.) What I'm trying to say is this: It's cool to clean out your pantry and closet and pass it along to someone who needs it more than you. Maybe the person on the receiving end will sense the love of God, or maybe they will feel just a little more pathetic because they still can't put together a whole meal even after receiving a hand out. (Never fear, the pumpkin didn't go to waste. One day all I had in the house to feed the kids was popcorn and that can of pumpkin. The combination was tasty and filled their tummies.)
    That bag of groceries did help us along and gave us something to eat. But I'm still on the fence about whether it lifted our spirits or whether it was just a reminder of our sad condition. Looking back, I cherish the memory of feeding my kids popcorn and pumpkin because of what it taught me. (Too much to mention here) But at the time, all a can of pumpkin at Thanksgiving time did was make me cry because I still couldn't make a pie.
    So, let me challenge you sweet and brave ladies as you press forward toward the goal of your Summer of 7. First, let God do a work in your heart as you purge. Don't clean out the pantry just for the sake of cleaning. (I'm sensing that you've all got a good grip on that already.) Secondly, if God leads you to bless someone else with your excess, ask Him to show you how to do it with love, creativity, and precision so that they will have no doubt that all good and perfect and complete gifts come from God alone. Lastly but maybe most importantly, as you set out to give, keep in mind that a "needy" person might need more than just food, clothes, etc. Their spirits need a lift. They need encouragement. They need HOPE! Beans and rice might taste a whole lot better to a needy mom after she's been treated to an afternoon in a good beauty salon.
    Even if I'm not able to participate, I'll try to keep reading about your adventure this summer.
    Blessings
    Lavonda
    http://www.writeforhim.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your perspective, Lavonda!

      Delete